Powered By Blogger

Thursday, April 28, 2011

"Many red devils..." -Stephen Crane

      I picture the author, Stephen Crane, sitting at his desk and after keeping his deepest thoughts and struggles bottled up inside, finally letting them out on paper and being in shock what his own mind was really like.  He says, "It was strange/to write this red muck/Of things from my heart." Sometimes I don't think we realize how frustrated and troubled we really are until we get it out on paper or even say it out loud. I picture him just writing and writing until he's let everything out and then rereading it and that's when he realizes how strange it is to pour his heart out and be honest with himself. His imagery really brings the poem and 'red devils' from his heart, to life. It helps bring out the emotion.
      I pretty much agree with everything else that we said during the discussion and this is all I had to add to it!

2 comments:

  1. It was a good discussion. I have that image too. Somebody had a really cool picture with this one. Becky Torrey? I'll have to check.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was a good discussion on this one. I can picture him too. Somebody had a great picture of this one on their blog. Becky Torrey, I think?

    ReplyDelete