Powered By Blogger

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Song of the Powers- David Mason

      
       This poem is about the struggle for power and the sacrifices that come with it. I thought it was interesting that Mason took a simple game to create such a big message, although I think it was a little bit of a stretch and over thought, it was still interesting. Personally, the only time I use this game is to determine power when something can't be solved by talking. I've never thought about it any farther then that until this poem. Each of these objects can be used on one another to defeat the other, yet there is always something that can defeat them too. It's an endless circle that only ends up with being alone. Victory doesn't always mean happiness when you are destroying someone else.
      At the beginning of the first three stanzas, the first word is "mine" which is symbolizing that each aspect of the game is only concerned about themselves which eventually leads to them being alone. The structure is extremely basic with each of the first four stanzas having the same amount of lines, 6, and the same rhyming scheme. I think this poem falls short compared to the rest in the packet, it's a no-brainer and won't leave a lasting impression for me personally.

                                                         http://www.toddlittleton.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/rock-paper-scissors.png


I completely spaced these blogs for the past two weeks, sorry! :(

4 comments:

  1. "It's an endless circle that only ends up with being alone. Victory doesn't always mean happiness when you are destroying someone else."
    I LOVED how you put this; I couldn't agree more. And I thought it was just super neat too how this is a never-ending circle of just... "fighting" for lack of a better word, like you said. Your blog is super cute, Sam! And you write so very nicely :))

    P.S. The picture cracked me up hardcore! Haha :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.P.S Your senior picture is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Love your comic. :) Also, I like your new background--it is new, yes? Nice thoughts on the poem too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually respectfully disagree with you on your comment that this poem was a "no-brainer". if we look more closely at the different aspects of the poem we are able to find that the three different objects are meant to personify three different ways people view the world and how each can be defeated by another when by themselves. I personally feel that the stone symbolizes cold hard scientific facts, the paper represents the power of imagination, and I am still working on figuring out the scissors.

    ReplyDelete