Powered By Blogger

Saturday, October 9, 2010

My Fear -Lawrence Raab

      Although this poem was pretty straight forward and didn't take too much thinking to decipher it, I still thought it was interesting and written well. I liked that the author personified the idea of fear as a person, "Mr.Fear." I thought of a dark and mysterious person, kind of cliche for the grim reaper idea. I thought the 3rd stanza was interesting when he says: "Maybe he smiles when he finds the right one. Maybe he's sorry." Usually you picture the grim reaper being ready and willing to do his job, not hesitating and hoping he doesn't have to inflict that kind of pain. It reminds me of those dreams where they're so intense and scary, yet you still know it's a dream but it wakes you up eventually and stays with you. Each one of these he adds to the "list that keeps getting longer."
       I thought it was interesting that the title was singular, "My Fear," instead of the multiple fears that he talks about in the poem. I think this is because his fear is the fear of fears... if that makes sense. Mr.Fear is who he fears which includes all the other fears that he inflicts upon him.


Word Count: 164

1 comment:

  1. Nice thought: "I thought it was interesting that the title was singular, "My Fear," instead of the multiple fears that he talks about in the poem. I think this is because his fear is the fear of fears... if that makes sense. Mr.Fear is who he fears which includes all the other fears that he inflicts upon him." I like it!

    ReplyDelete