Powered By Blogger

Sunday, September 12, 2010

In Blackwater Woods -Mary Oliver

    Although this poem isn't specific about what the author is talking about (death, the forest, etc.) I believe is about a loss. That was my first thought and after the discussion in class, I questioned it, but in the end I still have to go with my initial thought. As I looked deeper into the poem when the trees are turning into pillars and talking about light, that could easily symbolize heaven or somewhere greater than earth. Then as someone, I don't remember who (I think Tony?), said that fulfillment is usually achieved as a person is dying because they have fulfilled their life's purpose and move on. Then the cattails bursting and floating away symbolize the end of their lives along with the end of the person's life who died in this poem.
      The last three things in the poem that are the "three things you must be able to do" are important, but I definitely think there are more than these three things and more significant things as well. These all relate back to a person and what I thought was that a person can only be happy if there's another person there to rely on, which seems a little desperate and sad to me. I believe that happiness is based on the individual and not someone else.
      I actually did like this poem though, it made me think and it was interesting to hear how many different ways it could be taken by the rest of the class.

(250 words)

1 comment: