Powered By Blogger

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Evening Concert, Saint-Chapelle: Response

         After reading this poem for the first time I appreciated the descriptive language and the images it created, but I didn't really understand where it was all coming from. Ana presented this poem to the class and gave us some background knowledge on Saint-Chapelle and I learned that it was a very elaborate and detailed cathedral in Paris made up of stained glass walls with mostly blue and red colors. I further researched it later and learned that it was created during the height of the Gothic architecture movement in the medieval era. Which was known for some of the most detailed and beautiful buildings ever created, even to this day. Then Ana also played music by Vivaldi and Brahm. I'm not a huge classical music listener so this really helped to understand the poem as well, and imagining what it would've been like to be in that cathedral.
          Then after reading it a second time it all came to life and I understood a lot better. I believe that the the thick black lines are symbolism for the lead that holds all the stained glass together. When he says, "in shapes of shield and cross and strut and brace, that held the holy glowing fantasy together" I picture blue and red stained glass in the shapes of shields and crosses with light shining through down onto the orchestra and the music bringing the image and glass to life for the listeners.
         This poem just shows how much a little research and background knowledge can really help to understand sometimes difficult poems. Ana did a really good job at creating an image and by the end of the class discussion I think that almost everyone had an idea of what this poem was about and understood the point that John Updike was making.

(Word count: 303)

1 comment:

  1. Ana did a good job on this. It made it come alive more for me too!

    ReplyDelete